commons-user mailing list archives

From "srinath narasimhan" <>
Subject RE: [dbcp] re. UnsupportedOperationException in getConnection -- WorkAround
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:19:11 GMT
I got this working. But I had to download the latest development build of
dbcp and it also required commons-lang package.
These both are development versions. Hopefully there will be a stable
release soon.

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 17:09
Subject: [dbcp] re. UnsupportedOperationException in getConnection

Hi Srinath - I am seeing this same error using dbcp on tomcat4.0.1 with
Oracle jdbc drivers.

I can look up the DataSource from jndi ok, and I can get a connection from
the pool using getConnection() - this all works fine for me also, but
getConnection(userid, password) gives the same error you are seeing.

I've tried dbcp 1.0 and 1.0.1 - same thing.

Did you resolve the issue? If so what did you do to fix it?

Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing something obvious? Is it not valid
to request a connection from the pool using specific userid and password
(this works for a DataSource on other servers, eg WLS6)

Thanks, Kevin Hooke

>From: srinath narasimhan <>
>Subject: [dbcp] UnSupportedOperationException in getConnection
>Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:30:03 -0500

>I am trying to use dbcp with tomcat for MSSQLServer JDBC driver. I >am
>following the procedure as suggested in the JNDI how to >documentation of
>tomcat. It works fine when I use the getConnection() function, but >when I
>try to use getConnection(username,password) I get a
>UnsupportedOperationException. I have a few questions

>1. Is this feature not supported ?
>2. Is there another way of doing this ?
>3. If this feature is not supported right now, is it proposed to be
>supported in the future ?

>Any suggestions/ideas would be of help.

This email message and all attachments transmitted with it are for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Please DO NOT forward this email outside of the
recipient's Company unless expressly authorized to do so herein.  Any
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email

Any views expressed in this email message are those of the individual sender
except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Indus
 International, Inc.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message