commons-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [Net] plans for ssh
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:30:42 GMT
See the recent long thread titled 'SSH Tasks' on ant-dev, where the jsch
library from www.jcraft.com, which was recently re-licensed under BSD (used
to be LGPL) is being planned for the basis of new Ant ssh-based tasks.

Being BSD-licensed, this library would be acceptable (?) to use by
Commons-Net (under ASL) as an external dependency, if I understood correctly
the recent turmoil of emails...

But only if the Commons-Net community thinks it's valuable of course ;-)

--DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel F. Savarese [mailto:dfs@savarese.org]
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 4:18 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [Net] plans for ssh

In message <3E5939F4.4000307@wyona.org>, Michael Wechner writes:
>are there any plans to support "ssh" within the commons-net package?

Not that I know of at the moment.  Still, if there is demand for an
ssh client protocol implementation in Java distributed under the ASL,
there's no reason it could not be implemented.  That is, keeping in
mind that a commons-net implementation would in effect be a toolkit
for building ssh client applications, exposing the protocol to the
programmer through an API, rather than a full end-user ssh client
application with terminal emulation, etc.  However, I would guess most
folks would be adequately served by wrapping a command line ssh client
like OpenSSH.  Perhaps that's a place to start.  Define some interfaces
and provide an OpenSSH wrapper implementation, providing a pure Java
implementation later only if there is a real demand.

daniel