commons-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [Net] plans for ssh
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:25:09 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel F. Savarese [mailto:dfs@savarese.org]
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 4:18 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [Net] plans for ssh

In message <3E5939F4.4000307@wyona.org>, Michael Wechner writes:
>are there any plans to support "ssh" within the commons-net package?

Not that I know of at the moment.  Still, if there is demand for an
ssh client protocol implementation in Java distributed under the ASL,
there's no reason it could not be implemented.  That is, keeping in
mind that a commons-net implementation would in effect be a toolkit
for building ssh client applications, exposing the protocol to the
programmer through an API, rather than a full end-user ssh client
application with terminal emulation, etc.  However, I would guess most
folks would be adequately served by wrapping a command line ssh client
like OpenSSH.  Perhaps that's a place to start.  Define some interfaces
and provide an OpenSSH wrapper implementation, providing a pure Java
implementation later only if there is a real demand.

daniel