commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Functional Jelly Redux, was Re: Jelly and X++
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:54:41 GMT

On Mercredi, févr 12, 2003, at 05:51 Europe/Paris, Todd Jonker wrote:
> [ Most OO languages are pretty aggressively imperative.  It's damn near
> impossible to write a useful Java program without using an assignment.
> ]

On this I don't agree. I do think you can write lots of useful GUI
things that almost purely functional (e.g. a Swing model class based on
some predefined storage). It's just rarely seen.

Moreover there are thing that really suck in functional programming:
how do you want to make, without a state, something like an iterator
that walks a tree ? And iterators are really close to functional, are
immensely useful!

As to the cumbersomeness of the inner-class syntax, I think this really
only true if you respect the coding conventions which, for most of what
I have seen, have never talked about these hence require five lines for
a one line inner-class (e.g. a parameter to
SwingUtilities.invokeLater() parameter).

Paul