commons-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Nichols <nx10m...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject [jelly] Using BeanTagLibrary for "action" tags
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:47:33 GMT
Hello,

Is it possible to use BeanTagLibrary and have the top-level tags - i.e.
those registered with registerBean() - actually DO something? The plumbing
used in
jelly-tags/bean/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/bean/
works a treat, and requires a minimal amount of glue (most of which can be
abstracted into super classes - great.)

However, though this is useful for "data assembly" I want the top-level tag
to perform an action - which I'm currently doing using a standard
TagLibrary impl and TagSupport-derived tag classes. With the existing
("imperative") code, doTag() is invoked for the top-level, registered, tag,
so I can take appropriate actions. How do I do this using the plumbing of
BeanTagLibrary?

I'm trying to get the following -
<sync>
   <input1><file name="reggae.xml"/></input1>
   <input2><url value="http://www.pinkflag.com/wire/punk.xml"/></input2>
</sync>

The inputX, url and file classes are just data wrappers, BeanTagLibrary
handles this very elegantly if I have
     registerBean (sync, Sync.class) in  MyTagLibrary ctor. I want to
invoke the "sync" processing on the collected data once the input1 and
input2 elements have been parsed. Is this possible?

The refactoring has made for a cleaner architecture IMHO - worth the pain,
for me at least.

Thanks,
Thomas.