commons-user mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <>
Subject Re: [Net] plans for ssh
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:06:17 GMT
Daniel F. Savarese wrote:

>In message <>, Michael Wechner writes:
>>are there any plans to support "ssh" within the commons-net package?
>Not that I know of at the moment.  Still, if there is demand for an
>ssh client protocol implementation in Java distributed under the ASL,
>there's no reason it could not be implemented.

> That is, keeping in
>mind that a commons-net implementation would in effect be a toolkit
>for building ssh client applications, exposing the protocol to the
>programmer through an API, rather than a full end-user ssh client
>application with terminal emulation, etc.

> However, I would guess most
>folks would be adequately served by wrapping a command line ssh client
>like OpenSSH.  Perhaps that's a place to start.
That's kind of what I did. The problem is that I loose control over the
actual connection.
If everything is alright, then it's no problem. But if the remote server
does not respond
or the connectivity is very slow, then I would like to receive for
instance a TimeOutException
or some other Exception which I could handle within my Java application.

Or is my wrapper just bad?!

BTW: I just found the following link

but it's LGPL

> Define some interfaces
>and provide an OpenSSH wrapper implementation, providing a pure Java
>implementation later only if there is a real demand.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message