commons-user mailing list archives

From Robert Oxspring <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject [Logging] Where is my configuration coming from?
Date Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:16:31 GMT
I'm trying to use Commons-Logging within an app and figured that it
would be useful to turn on trace logging in a test case while doing some
debugging.  To do this I put code along the lines of the following in
the setUp() method of the testcase:

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log."+getName(),"trace");
        Log log =  new SimpleLog(getName());
        target.setLog(log);

But the logging output refuses to show anything below the default "info"
level.  Investigating further I tried the following which works from a
commandline invocation but still within the testcase nothing below
"info" gets through.  The testcase itself is running within Ant's junit
task and the results are the same with or without forking junit.

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog","trace");

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.test","trace");

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showlogname","true");

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showShortLogname","true");

System.setProperty("org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showdatetime","true");

        SimpleLog log =  new SimpleLog("test");
        log.trace("tracing");
        log.debug("debugging");
        log.info("informing");
        log.warn("warning");
        log.error("erroring");
        log.fatal("fatalling");

So where is the configuration in use coming from? And how should I be
configuring the log instance to work as I want it?

In case it matters I'm using JDK1.3.1_04, Ant 1.5.1,  Logging 1.0.2, and
the following jars are being pulled into the classpath by ant.

ant.jar
junit.jar
optional.jar
xercesImpl.jar
xml-apis.jar

axiondb-M1-dev.jar
bcel.jar
commons-cli.jar
commons-collections.jar
commons-logging-api.jar
commons-logging.jar
graph.jar
hansel.jar
mailapi.jar
checkstyle-all.jar
junit.jar
quilt.jar
activation.jar
imap.jar
oe5dbx.jar
pop3.jar
smtp.jar

If you could CC me on any replies or move it over to commons-dev it
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rob