commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Jelly and X++
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 17:09:09 GMT
Seems a stretch to refer to the Superx++ project as:

"Superx++ is the world's first object-oriented language that is entirely
based on XML's syntactical structure."

"History
Superx++ was first conceived in early 2001."

Ant, JSP, XSLT and Jelly are relatively high level OOP systems with
their syntax based in XML. Can simply mapping between an XML syntax to
the underlying languages data structures/grammar to be considered
inventing a new "object oriented language"? Or is it simply mapping that
particular OOL into an XML syntax?

Because Ant, JSP, XSLT and Jelly ... all utilize this technique to
accomplish their goals, while Superx++ may be the first written in
C/C++, it wouldn't appear to be the first group to approach such a
mapping, and if XSLT is an example of such a mapping then I doubt its
even the first in C/C++.

That all said, it seems to be an interesting implementation of XML based
  OOP. I'm sure it has some powerful features and benifits that its
creators ingeniously came up with. I see alot of what I was playing
around with in BCEL and BSF expressed in some of their examples.

I suspect that research into various "different language based"
implimentations of XML based OOP will yield some interesting discussions
concerning "implemented language independent" features to be discussed
and defined in Specifications and Consortia. Much in the same way that
XSLT as evolved as a implementation independent templating language.

-Mark