commons-user mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <>
Subject RE: [jelly] body as unescaped xml
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:07:27 GMT

> This is kinda non intuitive. I think we should probably fix it.

That was my thought too.  Especially the <j:set/> tag feels like it should
be transparent in this respect.

> Basically when XML is output as text it can be encoded into a
> valid XML
> string or left as is. So tags like <j:set> allow XML encoding
> to be turned
> on or off.
>     <j:set var="bar" encoding="false">
>         <foo/>
>     <j:set>

I noticed that <j:set/> has an "encode" attribute, but that's used to encode
stuff like "&lt;" into "&amp;lt;", right?  So you propose to add another
attribute "encoding" to control whether to encode data into valid XML text?

> For some reason the default is to encode as XML text (I can't
> remember why
> this is so). This is probably not a good thing; encoding
> should probably be
> disabled by default. For now you can just specify the default encoding
> true/false.

Sounds reasonable.  But this attribute doesn't exist yet, does it?