commons-user mailing list archives

From Maher Martin <MMa...@Webasto.de>
Subject Digester Creational Rule Question
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:17:02 GMT
Hi,

I've looked through all the examples I could find on using the Digester and
till now I haven't come across any way or instantiating a specific Bean
class depending on an attribute within the pattern of the element I'm
matching against. To explain what I'm trying to do consider the scenario
below:

--------------

I've the following class structure

class BaseInput {}

class InputTypeX extends BaseInput {}

class InputTypeY extends BaseInput {}

--------------

and the following XML structure

<root>
	<input type="X">
	</input>

	<input type="Y">
	</input>

	<input type="X">
	</input>
</root>

--------------

What I would like to do is during pattern matching, instantiate the correct
bean class depending on the input type. If the input contains the type="X"
then I want to instantiate the bean class "InputTypeX" and so on. Is this
possible with digester when specifying rules within an XML file? I know one
way of doing this would be to rename the <input> element to <input-x> or
<input-y> and instantiate the class based on the element name, but I want to
try and avoid this if possible.

tia,

Martin Maher

Webasto Informationssysteme GmbH