commons-user mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Different user/password for each connection?
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:54:29 GMT
On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, John Unwin wrote:

> All the DBCP examples I have seen specify a single user id/password  to create
> connections.
> Is it possible to use connections based on an individual user's credentials?
> E.g. All our users are defined as a user to our database. Each can have different
> (database) access credentials. We collect a user id and password from each user and
> want to pass those to the database when a connection is made. Does this mean that the
> connections cannot be reused (because the user/password will differ)?

Correct, all the current DBCP configurations assume the same uname/passwd
combination within the pool.

It should be possible to create a "keyed" pool that distinguishes between
connections with different credentials, but that will take some
development work. (If you just want a pool, not necessarily the JDBC-like
DBCP, this is trivial using commons-pool directly).

Alternatively, you could create distinct connection pools, one for each
credential set.  This is what I do to manage distinct credentials, but
with only a handful of uname/passwd pairs.