commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Functional Jelly Redux, was Re: Jelly and X++
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:58:08 GMT
 From what I remember of this thread, you had suggested tags to have a
result.
But tags DO have a result: namely, an XML output.
So for the processing of XML objects, jelly IS functional.
Trouble of course start if you want your tags to return anything else
than XML. And this is the place where I suggested an extension for
being functional is to be inserted.

There's one seducing feature seen in some functional languages that I
feel you forgot: lazy evaluation: e.g. that an expression is to be
evaluated only when it's needed. This is missing just about everywhere
but I have the impression that making something such in Jelly would be
do-able.

Paul