commons-user mailing list archives

From John Keyes <>
Subject RE: [CLI] RESEND: Inconsistency in Options.hasOption(String)
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:54:20 GMT
> > Option create = OptionBuilder.create( "create", "createArchive" );
> Is a full word allowed as a short option name? Unix like, I thought that a
> short option was *always* a character prefixed with a single hyphen and a
> corresponding long name prefixed by a double hyphen.
> Or is there a difference between the GNU and Posix parser?
This the difference alright, for example look at ants command line,
the option -buildfile is not a longOption as it only has one hyphen
but it is not a Posix style shortOption either, that is length > 1.
I have removed the need for multiple parsers in the new impl, this is
to make it a hell of a lot easier for users, so they don't need to
worry what parser to use.

This is one of the main problems I am trying to work around.  I
think there is a simple solution but I need to identify it.  I am
hoping that when I am finished, that shortOption will always only
be a char, and that an appropriate mechanism for longOption will allow
-buildfile as a longOption for Gnu and --longOption as a longOption
for Posix.  The list will be notified when I have something ready

-John K