commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Jelly] restrict use of tag libraries
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 14:08:47 GMT
Agreed - though I can't help feeling we'd end up reinventing XML validation
techniques where just reusing something like RelaxNG, XSD or Schematron
might be easier.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Sell" <christian.sell@netcologne.de>
To: "Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Jelly] restrict use of tag libraries

James Strachan wrote:
> There's a few ways this could go. We could add a mechanism so that Tag
> libraries could restrict the use of other libraries within themselves.
e.g.
> a specific TagLibrary could dsiable or enable some/all libraries from
being
> usable within one/all of its tags.
>
> Another option could be for an individual tag to validate its body inside
> the doTag() method. By calling getBody() and then traversing the tree of
> TagScripts, a specific Tag could validate that the body does not contain
> dynamic expressions or Tags of certain kinds etc.
>
> The latter would be pretty easy to implement in your specific example I
> think. We could maybe provide some kind of helper class (TagWalker?) to
aid
> Tag implementors wishing to traverse over their bodies, validating child
> tags.

both seem useful. However, in my case, where I dont want any scripting
at all, I could also call getParent() from within my element2, and
assert that the class is that of element1, right?

In general, I have the feeling that it would be nice if we could
delegate more error checking and validation into the runtime, based on
declarations provided by the taglib - instead of having to perform it in
every tag implementation (or not at all).