commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jelly and X++
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:53:37 GMT
Hi Brian

From: "Bryan Field-Elliot" <bryan_lists@netmeme.org>
> In this month's issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal (March 2003), an excellent
> article appeared by Gregory V. Wilson, "XML-Based Programming Systems".
> He described X++ as something of a pinnacle for XML-based programing;
> X++ can be found here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xplusplus/
>
> I was disappointed there was no mention of Jelly, because (A) I could
> really use a short-cut to grokking Jelly, and (B) now I'm really curious
> how Jelly compares (in its typical use case) to X++. Are they apples and
> oranges, or apples and apples?
>
> Comments appreciated.. I'm here to learn.

I've taked a quick look at X++ and it reminds me a little of o:xml

http://www.o-xml.org/

Both X++ and o:xml are programming languages using XML syntax.

Jelly on the other hand is more of a modular and general tool for turning
XML into some kind of scripts - so I guess its a tool for making functional
XML languages.

e.g. Jelly can be used to script Ant tasks or in build
systems (Maven) or to describe unit tests for HTTP or XML or SOAP related
techniques (e.g. Latka, Anteater, JellyUnit) or for defining workflows
(werkflow) or creating rich user interfaces (JellySwing or JellySWT).

I guess the main difference is Jelly doesn't try to be a programming
language, its more like XML duct tape to glue together beans, Ant tasks,
real scripting languages or expression languages like XPath or Jexl
together.

Another difference with X++ and Jelly is that X++ is developed in C++ and
Jelly is Java.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/