commons-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Ross" <Kevin.R...@iVerticalLeap.com>
Subject RE: Digester + Logging + Ant NullPointerException
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 14:27:06 GMT

From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:29 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: Digester + Logging + Ant NullPointerException

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Kevin Ross wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:25:29 -0600
> From: Kevin Ross <Kevin.Ross@iVerticalLeap.com>
> To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List' <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Digester + Logging + Ant NullPointerException
>
> I am using the latest and greatest.
>
> It is not that the code used Class.forName(), but the code uses the
> digester.getClassLoader().loadClass() that does *not* find the class.
> Switching to Class.forName() *works*.

That implies to me that you don't have the configuration properties for
class loader selection correct.  Making the change you propose would
destroy the ability to have commons-digester.jar in a parent class
loader,
but still be able to load classes from the child class loader (i.e. for
Tomcat, put commons-digester.jar in common/lib and try to load object
classes from your webapp.

What property settings are you using for the "classLoader" and
"useContextClassLoader" properties?

Craig

> I made the changes in:
> ObjectCreateRule.java
> SetNextRule.java
>
> In addition, I had to change the FromXmlRuleSet:
>
> 1.  Add beginning slash:
> 	public static final String DIGESTER_DTD_PATH =
> "/org/apache/commons/digester/xmlrules/digester-rules.dtd"
>
> 2.  ln 153: URL dtdURL = getClass().getResource(DIGESTER_DTD_PATH);
>

> I have consistently seen the DTD issue (#2) in the tomcat 4.x
> environments (which we understand has classloading issues), now I see
> running in a forked process from ANT (with newenvironment="true").  I
> have always had to make my own builds.
>
> Why the need to obtain the classloader and load classes in this
manner?

> If tomcat and ant have this issue (possibly bad software), shouldn't
we
> find a better way to workaround this?  At least a better message than
> NullPointerException with no stack....
>
> I can provide a diff if your interested.  I'm not sure of the answer,
> guess it hinges on the answer to my question of why it is done this
way.

> -Kevin

uses
> digester.getClassLoader().loadClas().
>
> Could you please try this with the latest and greatest Digester
release?

> Craig
>
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Kevin Ross wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:48:06 -0600
> > From: Kevin Ross <Kevin.Ross@iVerticalLeap.com>
> > To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List' <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: RE: Digester + Logging + Ant NullPointerException
> >
> > I'm now using the latest cvs code for logging, which seems to get me
> > past the earlier problem, but nonetheless, the problem is now in the
> > digester:
> >
> >      [java] [13:47:27.779-main][Digester][ERROR] - End event threw
> > exception
> >      [java] java.lang.NullPointerException
> >      [java]     at
> > org.apache.commons.digester.SetNextRule.end(SetNextRule.java:248)
> >      [java]     at
> > org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:773)
> >      [java]     at
> > org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.endElement(SAXParser.java:1403)
> >      [java]     at

org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callEndElement(XMLValid
> > ator.java:1480)
> >      [java]     at

org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(XMLDocumentSc
> > anner.java:1809)
> >      [java]     at

org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatc
> > h(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1182)
> >      [java]     at

org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScan
> > ner.java:381)
> >      [java]     at
> > org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1081)
> >      [java]     at
> > org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1222)
> >      [java]     at

org.apache.commons.digester.xmlrules.FromXmlRuleSet.addRuleInstances(Fro
> > mXmlRuleSet.java:140)
> >      [java]     at
> > org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.addRuleSet(Digester.java:1311)
> >

> > It is now clear that there are classloading issues (after inspecting
> > digester code).  I switched in a couple of places the use of the
> > Digester.getClassloader().loadClass() for Class.forName() and
> everything
> > works.  Is this a bug?  Is there an incompatibility with ANT?
Problem
> > with 1.4.1?
> >
> > Kevin Ross

org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:558)
> >      [java]     at

org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:355)