commons-user mailing list archives

From "David Orriss Jr" <d...@davenet.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] Commons against Lumberjack...
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:06:22 GMT
On Friday, January 31, 2003 8:18 PM,
Craig R. McClanahan <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

> There was a problem with the way that commons-logging was identifying
> whether this was a JDK 1.4 system or not, which would cause a problem
> on a JDK 1.3 system with an alternate JSR 47 implementation
> installed.  This has been corrected in nightly build 20030201 of
> commons-logging.  Could you please try again with this build and
> report the results?

Craig,

We downloaded the nightly build and while yes, things *do* work now, this isn't
quite the fix we had in mind.  The modification you wrote was to change
isJdk14Available() as follows:

    /**
     * Is <em>JDK 1.4 or later</em> logging available?
     */
    protected boolean isJdk14Available() {

        try {
            loadClass("java.sql.Savepoint");
            loadClass("org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger");
            return (true);
        } catch (Throwable t) {
            return (false);
        }
    }

The result of this is that if we using JSR 47-compliant logging in JDK 1.3, we
no longer have  a failure in struts.  *However* we still wanted the struts
logging to go against our JSR 47-compliant libraries.  The result of your fix is
that Commons Logging completely usurps the Lumberjack JSR 47 libraries.

I take it these means that Commons Logging and Lumberjack are not compatible and
probably never will be...?

--
David Orriss Jr.