commons-user mailing list archives

From "Linda Steckel" <>
Subject RE: How to debug closed connection problems
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:28:37 GMT

I'd love to have your fixes.

I am having a similar problem with the connections getting closed
unexpectedly after the same code runs for hours.  I'm using Oracle 8i.  If I
look at the database, it appears that they are connections open (but
irretrievable?), yet the error says "Connection closed".  I haven't been
able to figure out what is going on.

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 4:49 PM
Subject: How to debug closed connection problems

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to debug a problem my application
is having with closed connections using the commons connection pooling
(the REAL connection gets closed out from under the PoolableConnection).

I am running JDBC from a Window's client to either a local DB2 or a remote
database (Ver 7.2.4) from a Tomact web app.

I got the commons dbcp and pool source and instrumented it with some
printouts and discovered a couple of bugs in that code (very scarry ones
 - this code is not ready for prime time).  However, I am still getting
the underlying JDBC Connection closed out from under the PoolableConnection.

I instrumented all the code in the commons code where there is a
_conn.close() and all the code calling any of this code and (with my fixes)
I no longer see the pooling code doing the close of the real connection.

I added DriverManager.setLogWriter() to get added information and it does
seem to show a Connection close just before the application tries to close
the PoolableConnection, but unfortunately it doesn't give any traceback to
see who the culprit is.

My application only deals with the PoolableConnections so I don't see how it
can be doing the close of the real connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can determine what is doing this
real connection close????

  -- Frank

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: