commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <>
Subject Re: [jelly] error reporting
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:09:22 GMT

Le mercredi, 22 jan 2003, à 15:46 Europe/Paris, Christian Sell a écrit :
> 1. unknown core tags are simply ignored, the body is evaluated and the
> tag is written to stdout. Shouldnt there better be an exception
> instead?

I think this may already be a bug. If not, it >>HAS TO<< to be one.
I do believe that anything in a given namespace should be provided by
the tag-library which should in most of the cases throw an error.

> 2. error messages (e.g., when exceptions occur) are written in a
> format that shows the line information at the very end of a usually
> rather long line. Shouldnt this better be something like
> file.jelly [22:3] - some error occurred
> or at least easily configurable.

I think the official format. That of javac at least, should be
	file.jelly:linenum: comment
		more comments
or (that of jikes)
	file.jelly:linenum:colnum: comment
		more comments

Also, it would be nice that error reporting doesn't always include a
stacktrace, for example it could be an option of the Jelly command-line
class. It would make things somewhat more compact and would help us
detect possibly extraneous output...

View raw message