commons-user mailing list archives

From Christian Sell <christian.s...@netcologne.de>
Subject Re: [jelly] taglib implementation questions
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:47:47 GMT
I've got to have a final stab at this (no, it isn't that I always have
to have the last word. Just this time..)

> (i) reusing the bean library as is with <beandef>
> (ii) deriving from BeanTagLibrary to register new beans
> (iii) creating a brand new tag library (and reusing the bean library for
> nested properties)
> (iv) creating a brand new library and reusing BeanTag and BeanPropertyTag.
>
> Take your pick they all achieve about the same thing.
>
> Downsides of (i) and (ii) is that <beandef> is visible in the XML, which
> some folks might not want. Downsides of (iii) is that it requires 2 seperate
> namespaces.

I think mixing namespaces is what Jelly is all about, in a sense.. Whats
bad about the beandef? In fact a useBean would do as well, wouldn't it?

<useBean xmlns="jelly:core" xmlns:bean="jelly:bean" var="c1"
class="org.dada.Customer">
    <bean:order>
         <bean:product/>
     </bean:order>
</useBean>

> Downside of (ii) and (iv) is a dependency on the bean tag
> library implementation. Additional downside of (iv) is that the
> implementation is a bit more code (which through some refactoring of
> BeanTagLibrary could be avoided).

Personally I always try to avoid depending on anything else than core
functionality. For example, use standard Java collections if at all
possible before moving to something like commons-collections.

Thats why I like (iii) (that had to be said, of course).