commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Jelly] double dereference of a property?
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:19:21 GMT
From: "Todd Jonker" <tvj@pobox.com>
> Should the use of varName in the second line be quoted? I've always had to
> do that.  (Assuming that varName is to be interpreted as a String
literal.)

No. The example was just trying to say that 'varName' is a variable which
the value of the variable contains the name of the variable to lookup.

The example was meant to explain this (but I obviously failed). Here's
another go..

<j:set var="varName" value="some.file.property"/>

So ${varName} will now output 'some.file.property'

<j:set var="filename" value="${context.getVariable(varName)}"/>

which is equivalent to

<j:set var="filename" value="${context.getVariable('some.file.property')}"/>

> Is there a reference to the JEXL expression language?  It's a frequent
> stumbling block for me as I learn Jelly.

Unfortunately not. Though Jexl should be a superset of the expression
language in JSP - so maybe the JSTL documentation might help?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/