commons-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Sutton <adrian.sut...@ephox.com>
Subject RE: [httpclient] postmethod warnings
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:57:07 GMT
Hi Aaron.

>Hi, whenever i execute a post method I get this warning
>16/01/2003 12:04:30 org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase
writeRemainingRequestBody
>WARNING: Received status CONTINUE but the body has already been sent.

Basically what that means is that HttpClient didn't wait for the CONTINUE
response like it should have (I believe this behaviour has changed in the
latest CVS builds).  The basic idea is that a HTTP1.1 browser should send
just the headers of the POST method and then wait to see if the server is
going to accept the post (it might want authentication, give a 404 etc).
The server sends back a 100 CONTINUE header if it accepts the connection and
then the browser should send the actual data.  The trouble is a Http1.0
server will never send the CONTINUE header so you need to make sure you
don't wait forever.  The version of HttpClient you have is most likely not
waiting at all (which is wrong and I believe has now been changed).

You can either just ignore the message or set the debug level to ERROR (or
anything else above WARN) and the message won't appear.

Hope that helps...

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation
www.ephox.com