commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: messenger: running on caucho resin
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:34:55 GMT
Knowing the stack trace of the underlying NotSerializableException would help some. From what
you've given it looks like Messenger is trying to lookup a JMS TopicConnectionFactory from
JNDI and failing with a Resin-generated NotSerializableException message.

First off; can you get OpenJMS to work with Resin at all? i.e. lookup an OpenJMS TopicConnectionFactory
in Resin's JNDI?

What could well be easier for you is to write a plugin for Messenger, a SessionFactory implementation...

which explicitly creates OpenJMS connections. Then you don't need to worry about JNDI. All
you need to do is implement the createConnectionFactory() method to create an OpenJMS specific
ConnectionFactory and you're away.

FWIW SpiritWave comes with its own Messenger factory to avoid the need to use JNDI to create
JMS connections with Messenger; I'm sure the same could be done for OpenJMS.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ryan Vanderwerf
  Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 10:20 PM
  Subject: messenger: running on caucho resin

  Hi, I'm a newbie to the messenger sandbox project, and had a couple questions on getting
it running with Cacho Resin 2.1.6. I'm running the latest OpenJMS server, running with the
default queue in rmi_jms.xml and the pre-packaged Messenger.xml that comes with messenger
for OpenJMS.

  My problem is when I start the managerServlet everything seems to run fine except for an
NotSerializable error I get on startup - this is the debug info it spits out:

  [2003-01-08 16:05:32,739] DEBUG [main] [digester.Digester] [SetNextRule]{manager

  /messenger} Call org.apache.commons.messenger.MessengerManager.addMessenger(org.

  apache.commons.messenger.DefaultMessenger@7fc686 session: javax.jms.JMSException

  : Failed to lookup: JmsTopicConnectionFactory using JNDI. javax.naming.NamingExc

  eption: error marshalling arguments; nested exception is:

 com.caucho.util.ClassLoaderLocal [Root

   exception is java.rmi.MarshalException: error marshalling arguments; nested exc

  eption is:

  Does anyone that uses messenger lead me in the right direction? It looks like a very slick
app, in the past I've had to write all the connection management stuff for JMS manually which
was plenty of work - messenger seems to take care of all that. I'm just wondering what I am
missing here, or if it just doesn't work on resin (I don't see why it wouldn't) especially
if I am using the build in JNDI server in OpenJMS.

  More debug info that it spat out attached:

  To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
  For additional commands, e-mail: <>