commons-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Chmura" <>
Subject RE: Unknown nodes in digester?
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:45:54 GMT

I will have no idea what the tag names are until I encounter one.  I
will know that they are all in the <USERDEFINED> tag however.  I was
hoping that I could handle it by registering some sort of unknown node
handler or something.

The app will descend through the directories of the target, read in all
the _Config.xml files, and build an sort of an inherited rights mask
kind of thing, but with properties. Then it processes all the other
files in the dir structure using the effective settings in each
directory.   The unknowns are things the user can define and include in
the generated documents.

Sounds like a DOM thing?

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan []
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 1:34 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: Unknown nodes in digester?

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Bill Chmura wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:43:20 -0500
> From: Bill Chmura <>
> To: 'jakarta Commons Users List' <>
> Subject: Unknown nodes in digester?
> Hello,
> I am not sure what tool to use for what I need... I've used the DOM
> before, JAXB but I hear digester is pretty good.  I've done some
> reading, but was hoping someone could give me some advice.
> I need to read a number of small XML documents.  The kicker is that
> internally I will know ahead of time what 70% of the tags are, but
> there is the possibility for unknown tags to be within a known tag.
> Can digester be configured to handle this?

In general, Digester works on a matching principle -- it assumes you
know the element nesting pattern you are looking for.  So, whether it's
useful to you or not for your task is how far ahead of time you know
what the element names will be -- if you have some sort of information
that says "an UNKNOWN1 will be nested inside a USERDEFINED inside a
ROOT", then you can dynamically construct the matching patterns for your
processing rules.

It's really impossible, though, to give you much more help without
understanding what you actually want to *do* with the data that is
parsed. For example, if you want random access to the nodes, you
probably want to use some sort of DOM-based solution -- anything that is
SAX based (including Digester) is not going to be very helpful.

> Something like:
> <ROOT>
> <UNKNOWN1></UNKNOWN1> -> ?
> <UNKNOWN2></UNKNOWN2> -> ?