commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [jelly] echo tag
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:02:30 GMT
From: "Christian Sell" <christian.sell@netcologne.de>
> Martin Cooper wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> >

> >>I was thinking about this also, and thought about the 'out' tag from the
> >>jsp standard taglib....?
> >>
> >>Comments?
> >

> > This would write to the Jelly output stream, though, not to the console,
> > wouldn't it? At least, that's what I would expect it to do. I don't
> > believe that's what Christian is looking for.
>
> right. The same goes for the <whitespace>dada</whitespace> suggestion,
> too. Besides, it looks rather awkward to write
>
> <whitespace>dada
> </whitespace>
>
> to get a carriage return at the end.

First off, the output of the Jelly script is often piped to the console. So
just like Velocity, JSP or XSP, you just add text with whitespace and it
should come out. (Admittedly you've found a wierd case where whitespace is
coming out funny which we'll fix).

So doing this

<j:jelly xmlns:j="jelly:core" trim="false">

    this will appear on the console as
    text

    with carriage returns etc
</j:jelly>

should do what you need.

Just forgetting whats in Jelly right now - lets for now assume you could
have anything you want - what exactly would it look like? i.e. what do you
want to type in your Jelly scripts?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/