commons-user mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Netcomponents - Q about license
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 01:36:53 GMT

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> On Vendredi, déce 27, 2002, at 04:02 Europe/Brussels, Daniel F.
> Savarese wrote:
>
> I entirely agree with you that it is scary, however, for a newbie, I do
> understand it is not that easy to grasp both the usage of the library
> and the license issues. The page:
>    http://www.savarese.org/oro/downloads/NetComponentsLicense.html
> shows one license type, somewhat personal, whereas the Apache
> Foundation ownership seems to be present at some places...

Dual licensing is very confusing yes. I wish opensource.org had their own
licence which allowed a user to use the code under any of the licences
they classed as open-source :)

> I would actually love more of these questions in the Apache lists, very
> few people care about licenses and sometimes you really get surprises
> (not with LGPL or Apache though, but from Sun's licenses for example).

It always seems to be a relative waste of time though. Much of the text of
a licence is in relatively plain english, but the application to contexts
seems to not be defined due to lack of any legal precedence. Licence
discussions seem to often end with lots of IANALing and little in the way
of a definite answer.

Maybe you're right though, more of these questions from users would force
more contexts to be considered and the community's understanding of the
concepts to improve.

Hen