commons-user mailing list archives

From Thomas L Roche <tlro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [jelly] for testing existing GUIs?
Date Sun, 22 Dec 2002 03:30:39 GMT
Might Jelly be useful for automating testing of SWT/JFace GUIs?
Why I ask:

I've written a fair number of wizards for an Eclipse plugin that
generates Struts artifacts. Unfortunately I unit-test manually, so as
my functionality grows, so does the time required to regress :-(
(Please no preaching about test-first development: I see the light,
and seek only to tread the path :-)

I'd like to try using something like Abbot

http://abbot.sourceforge.net/

but it relies on java.awt.Robot, and AFAIK there is no SWT analog.

JellySWT also looks interesting, but I suspect it solves a problem
different than mine. It seems to me that Jelly is for interface RAD
(RID ?-), and that JellyUnit and JellyTestSuite are designed to allow
one to easily build test-harness GUIs. By contrast, what I want to do
is automate testing for _existing_ GUIs. This view seems confirmed by

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=1348

but not clearly. So I ask:

Can Jelly do what I want? If so, please lemme know, and please point
toward example(s) if known. (And feel free to forward.)