commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] MethodUtils caching
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:23:37 GMT
Sorry, I was indeed quite unprecise...

The story starts with JellySwing: an irreversibly attractive way of
building User-interfaces. And of course, as a good UI, you try to run
this as an applet (we really intend it).

However Jelly Swing uses BeanUtils and which in turn uses MethodUtils.
And here we break: MethodUtils was using Class.getDeclaredMethods()
which, for some reasons, is considered dangerous. We readily replaced
this with Class.getMethods() (at the possible expense of something I
presume) and it worked...

Similar security exceptions arise when commons-lang (I think) allows
itself to use a plain "System.getProperties()".

I think the issue is simply related to the fact that much (too much?)
of the jakarta development is interested to the server things and too
few to the user-interfaces...
I think, however, that such small utility classes like the commons
should really think twice before going happily into security-breaking
and should document their inability to run as an applet.

Thanks.

Paul