commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] MethodUtils caching
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:17:25 GMT
On Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at 11:23 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

<snip>

> I think, however, that such small utility classes like the commons should
> really think twice before going happily into security-breaking and should
> document their inability to run as an applet.

this issue arises since reflection in java 1.3 is badly broken. some of
the workarounds rely on security breaking to work properly :(

on the other hand, this should have been written in a robust and fail-safe
fashion. so, if security bending fails then the beanutils should
gracefully fall back to the straight call. that way, if your JVM isn't
bust, you can still use beanutils in an applet.

you're right that this does come down to testing. it should be possible to
set up security that is identical to that in an applet without actually
having to run in an applet, shouldn't it?

and thanks for bringing this up.

- robert