commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [betwixt] info on .betwixt files, "add" methods, and CyclicReferenceExceptions
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 19:00:23 GMT
On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 12:30 PM, Martin van den Bemt wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 21:10, Darren Scott wrote:

<snip>

>> 3) I seem to get CyclicReferenceExceptions when I don't expect to. Maybe
>> it's my misunderstanding of what a graph cycle is, but I took it to mean
>> when you get into an infinite cycle with references e.g. A refers to B,
>> B refers to C, C refers to A, A refers to B etc. I get these exceptions
>> raised when I have a collection containing multiple references to the
>> same object. I wouldn't have expected this situation to be treated as a
>> cycle.
>
> The cyclic checking isn't that advanced yet. The scenario that A refers
> to another A is covered however. Since the cyclic stuff also has some
> relation when you use id's (and I am not into id's that much), I
> probably have to have some help with the id handling.
> Time to read some specs on that :)

yeh. i've been wanting to improve this for some time now.

your understanding of a cyclic graph is correct. the problem is that at
the moment, betwixt is pretty dumb and will throw a cycle reference
exception if it encounters the same bean if id's aren't been written.

i have played about with various ways of improving the situation but they'
ve all proved unsatisfactory. probably the basic betwixt design needs to
be improved.

martin - if you've got some cycles, maybe we could throw ideas around.

- robert