commons-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mangano" <jonath...@pslgroup.com>
Subject RE: Totaly frustrated with commons-logging
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:57:40 GMT
When log4j attempts to load it's properties, it will check the classpath and check the system
property "log4j.configuration" to locate the properties file. So this is probably either a
classpath problem or the "log4j.configuration" system property been set incorrectly somewhere.

Add a line in your code to print out the value of "log4j.configuration". Make sure it is returning
nothing or pointing to the correct location.

If everything looks good try setting the system property "log4j.configuration" via CATALINA_OPTS
i.e. set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dlog4j.configuration=<path>/log4j.properties (Sorry I am not
very Linux savvy)
You can either set the absolute path or specify no path in which case it should default to
relative path of WEB-INF/classes

If this still doesn't help make sure that other resources in WEB-INF/classes directory are
accessible at runtime.

If all this still doesn't give you any joy try http://www2.theserverside.com/resources/strutsreview.jsp
and download chapter 18 which gives more details on setting up commons-logging in Struts using
log4j.

-----Original Message-----
From: Zsolt Koppany [mailto:zkoppany@web.de]
Sent: December 11, 2002 4:21 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: Totaly frustrated with commons-logging

After setting log4j.debug=true in the command line I see a strange error
message that "log4j: Could not find resource: [log4j.properties]."
Before you think that the file does not exists I show what ls tells me:

ls -l WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties
-rw-r--r--    1 zk       1240 Dec 11 22:16
WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

How is that possible? I use jdk-1.4.1 with tomcat-4.1.12-LE-jdk14

Messages:

log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@4b222f class loader.
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using
ClassLoader.getSystemResource().

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 15:19, Jonathan Mangano wrote:
> I have been using commons-logging, log4j, Tomcat and Struts for a while now. When configured
it only gives the log messages I want and does not fill my screen or log files with too much
information. Without more information, my guess is that the problem lies with your setup of
log4j, not commons-logging.

> Maybe a description of my own setup might help. I have two configuration files in my
class directory:

> 1. commons-logging.properties
> Which contains a single line:
> org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog
>
> 2. log4j.properties
> Which contains the follwing:
> # log4j configuration file
>
> log4j.debug=true
>
> # Create two appenders, one called stdout and the other called rolling
> log4j.logger.com.mypackage=INFO, stdout, rolling
> log4j.logger.org.apache=WARN, stdout, rolling
>
> # Configure the stout appender to go to the Console
>
> # Configure the stdout appender to use the PatternLayout
>
> # Pattern to output the caller's file name and line number.
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
>
> # Configure the rolling appender to be a RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.rolling=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
>
> # Configure the name of the file for the rolling appender
> log4j.appender.rolling.File=console.log
>
> #Configure the layout pattern and conversion pattern for the rolling appender
> log4j.appender.rolling.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.rolling.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} - %p %c [%t] - %m%n
>
> I use the standard call to get a logger in my code:
> Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(MyClass.class.getName());
> logger.warn("This is a warning");
>
> If you are using Struts, you might also want to check that you have the correct jar files.
See http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/release/v1.1-b2/ and follow the instructions
for log4j users.

--
Zsolt