commons-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mangano" <jonath...@pslgroup.com>
Subject RE: Totaly frustrated with commons-logging
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:19:41 GMT
I have been using commons-logging, log4j, Tomcat and Struts for a while now. When configured
it only gives the log messages I want and does not fill my screen or log files with too much
information. Without more information, my guess is that the problem lies with your setup of
log4j, not commons-logging.

Maybe a description of my own setup might help. I have two configuration files in my class
directory:

1. commons-logging.properties
Which contains a single line:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog

2. log4j.properties
Which contains the follwing:
# log4j configuration file

log4j.debug=true

# Create two appenders, one called stdout and the other called rolling
log4j.logger.com.mypackage=INFO, stdout, rolling
log4j.logger.org.apache=WARN, stdout, rolling

# Configure the stout appender to go to the Console

# Configure the stdout appender to use the PatternLayout

# Pattern to output the caller's file name and line number.
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n

# Configure the rolling appender to be a RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.rolling=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender

# Configure the name of the file for the rolling appender
log4j.appender.rolling.File=console.log

#Configure the layout pattern and conversion pattern for the rolling appender
log4j.appender.rolling.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.rolling.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} - %p %c [%t] - %m%n

I use the standard call to get a logger in my code:
Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(MyClass.class.getName());
logger.warn("This is a warning");

If you are using Struts, you might also want to check that you have the correct jar files.
See http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/release/v1.1-b2/ and follow the instructions
for log4j users.