commons-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mangano" <jonath...@pslgroup.com>
Subject Recovering from dropped connections when using commons DCBP
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 20:41:03 GMT
I am using the DCBP connection pooling with Tomcat 4.1.12. Everything works fine except when
a connection dies because of some external factor (In my case it is a clearing of the the
Cisco Routers xlate table or a firewall reset which causes a SocketException). When this happens
the JDBC driver I am using throws an SQLException with a specific SQLState, so I am able to
identify when it occurs. If this happens when the DCBP pool is opening a new connection it
wraps the SQLException in a DCBPException, so again I can identify the problem.

What I cannot do is get another working connection. It appears the Connection pool is in a
bad state so that I get the same exception when I request another connection. Is there a way
to get around this by resetting the connection pool or removing the dead connection?

Thanks
Jonathan