commons-user mailing list archives

From John Yu <j...@scioworks.com>
Subject RE: [Logging] Thread safety guaruntee of Log classes?
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:20:50 GMT
Jerome,

If you take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/api/org/apache/commons/logging/package-summary.html

, it states common-logging, out-of-box, supports the following impls:

- log4j
- logkit
- no-op
- simpleLog (system.out)

All of them should be thread-safe. That implies logging in Struts is always
thread-safe out-of-box, no matter which logging impl you select.

Should someone decide to provide a "proprietary" log impl, which can
potentially be not thread-safe, she needs to extend common-logging, not
Struts, and thus she needs the knowledge of common-logging (i.e. how to
implementation LogFactory) to do so. Therefore, as long as common-logging's
doco states the thread-safety issue, there's no need to add such warning in
Struts' doco.

And I think the doco in common-logging's nightly-build should now have the
thread-safety warning added.

Am I making sense here?
--
John

--
John Yu                       Scioworks Technologies
e: john@scioworks.com         w: +(65) 873 5989