commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: Netcomponents - Q about license
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:58:15 GMT

On Samedi, d├ęce 28, 2002, at 02:36 Europe/Brussels, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Maybe you're right though, more of these questions from users would
> force
> more contexts to be considered and the community's understanding of the
> concepts to improve.

The thing is, of course, that where the hard to understand licenses
are, there is no forum. Java Servlets or Jaxp for example...

 From time to time, one sees an article about the newest surprises of
this or that licenses. For example microsoft obtaining the right to
install software on my machine (a Mac in this case) which should
protect copyright of authors...

Maybe such initiatives as ODRL (http://www.odrl.net) and the
implementations related to this (which turn the odrl-encoded license
into rights and prohibitions) would also turn more attention to this.

I'm sure it would actually: if you have a program that tells you you
may or may not, a good computer-scientist, if offended by the "may" or
"may not", would want to go into there. And a good hacker will want to
know wether it's a bug of the system, a bug of the encoded-license,
or... a real license intent...

Paul