commons-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Netcomponents - Q about license
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:02:38 GMT

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0212252242390.1150-100000@beholder.brekke.org>, "Jeff
rey D. Brekke" writes:
>If you do find a solution or change that may be useful to the rest of us,
>please consider providing the changes back to the community so they may be
>integrated into the source code.
>
>On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Kenneth C wrote:
>> include netcomponent's FTP module to accomplish the internet file transfer
>> functionality of our product. But upon testing we discovered that the FTP
>> module, when run, will display sensitive information such as passwords. I

When I read stuff like this (Kenneth's comments, not Jeff's), it scares me
because it means people use software without reading and understanding
the license and also without understanding what the software does.  Jeff
already addressed the licensing part, and I can understand that even
obvious licensing questions need to be asked to be absolutely sure one is
interpreting the license correctly.  However, when it comes to code, I just
don't get it.  The "FTP module" does NOT print sensitive information such
as passwords or any other information for that matter.  The FTP _demonstration_
program prints all protocol command exchanges so you can see what's going on
because it is a demo program and uses the demonstration PrintCommandListener
implementation of the ProtocolCommandListener interface to print command
exchanges.  org/apache/commons/net/ftp/FTPClient.java is the "FTP module"
example/ftp.java is a simple example showing how one might use FTPClient.
Modify them as you wish as long as you observe the Apache Software License
contained at the top of each source file.  However, make sure you understand
what you're doing.  Again, FTPCLient does not print any information, nor
does any class in the net packages.  The demonstration programs (e.g.,
ftp.java, mail.java, post.java) use a demonstration PrintCommandListener to
print message exchanges so you can get an idea of how to use a
ProtocolCommandListener and so you can see what the demonstration programs
actually do.  I hope this clears up the apparent misconception.

daniel