commons-user mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] MethodUtils caching
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:27:06 GMT
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> I think the issue is simply related to the fact that much (too much?)
> of the jakarta development is interested to the server things and too
> few to the user-interfaces... I think, however, that such small utility
> classes like the commons should really think twice before going happily
> into security-breaking and should document their inability to run as an
> applet.

For what it's worth, I think it's more often the case that the developers
generally don't try to run the code in a "secured" or "sandboxed"
environment like an applet, and hence unintentionally "go happily into
security breaking".  Clearly, documenting that applets aren't supported
isn't the best solution, supporting applets is.  In most cases if someone
points out "don't do that, it's not applet friendly" the developer will
gladly implement an alternative solution or at least provide some sort of
workaround. It's just that in general the devloper is unaware of the

Pressure from applet-oriented clients (like you) is one good way to
address this.  Perhaps adding a some sort of unit testing framework for
running regular Junit tests in a "secured" mode would be another.  I'd be
willing to experiment with the latter if anyone else would like to

 - Rod

> Thanks.
> Paul

View raw message