commons-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Gary D. Gregory (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (CODEC-127) Non-ascii characters in source files
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:54:27 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-127?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13085928#comment-13085928
] 

Gary D. Gregory commented on CODEC-127:
---------------------------------------

So Base64Test is done right?


> Non-ascii characters in source files
> ------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: CODEC-127
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-127
>             Project: Commons Codec
>          Issue Type: Bug
>            Reporter: Sebb
>
> Some of the test cases include characters in a native encoding (possibly UTF-8), rather
than using Unicode escapes.
> This can cause a problem for IDEs if they don't know the encoding (e.g. cause compilation
errors, which is how I found the issue), and possibly some transformations may corrupt the
contents, e.g. fixing EOL.
> I think we should have a rule of using Unicode escapes for all such non-ascii characters.
> It's particularly important for non-ISO-8859-1 characters.
> Some example classes with non-ascii characters:
> {code}
> binary\Base64Test.java:96         byte[] decode = b64.decode("SGVsbG{´┐¢´┐¢´┐¢´┐¢´┐¢´┐¢}8gV29ybGQ=");
> language\ColognePhoneticTest.java:110             {"m├Ânchengladbach", "664645214"},
> language\ColognePhoneticTest.java:130         String[][] data = {{"bergisch-gladbach",
"174845214"}, {"M├╝ller-L├╝denscheidt", "65752682"}};
> language\ColognePhoneticTest.java:137             {"Meyer", "M├╝ller"},
> language\ColognePhoneticTest.java:143             {"ganz", "Gänse"},
> language\DoubleMetaphoneTest.java:1222         this.getDoubleMetaphone().isDoubleMetaphoneEqual("´┐¢",
"S");
> language\DoubleMetaphoneTest.java:1227         this.getDoubleMetaphone().isDoubleMetaphoneEqual("´┐¢",
"N");
> language\SoundexTest.java:367         if (Character.isLetter('´┐¢')) {
> language\SoundexTest.java:369                 Assert.assertEquals("´┐¢000", this.getSoundexEncoder().encode("´┐¢"));
> language\SoundexTest.java:375             Assert.assertEquals("", this.getSoundexEncoder().encode("´┐¢"));
> language\SoundexTest.java:387         if (Character.isLetter('´┐¢')) {
> language\SoundexTest.java:389                 Assert.assertEquals("´┐¢000", this.getSoundexEncoder().encode("´┐¢"));
> language\SoundexTest.java:395             Assert.assertEquals("", this.getSoundexEncoder().encode("´┐¢"));
> {code}
> The characters are probably not correct above, because I used a crude perl script to
find them:
> {code}
> perl -ne "$.=1 if $s ne $ARGV;print qq($ARGV:$. $_) if m/\P{ASCII}/;$s=$ARGV;" xxxx.java
> {code}
> language\SoundexTest.java:367 in particular is incorrect, because it's supposed to be
a single character.
> Now one might think that native2ascii -encoding UTF-8 would fix that, but it gives:
> if (Character.isLetter('\ufffd'))
> which is an "unknown" character.
> Similarly for binary\Base64Test.java:96.
> It's not all that clear what the Unicode escapes should be in these cases, but probably
not the unknown character.
> [Possibly the characters got mangled at some point, or maybe they have always been wrong]
> The ColognePhoneticTest.java cases are less serious, as the characters are valid ISO-8859-1
(accented German), but given that the rest of the file uses unicode escaps, I think they should
be changed too (but add comments to say what they are, e.g. o-umlaut, u-umlaut)

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

       

Mime
View raw message