commons-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Henri Yandell (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (LANG-617) StringEscapeUtils.escapeXML() can't process UTF-16 supplementary characters
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:34:54 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-617?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12881096#action_12881096
] 

Henri Yandell commented on LANG-617:
------------------------------------

I tested with 10C22, broken down into supplementary \uD803\uDC22 and the new code seems happy
for the numeric entity escaping. 

Unescaping will need some work, so I will leave this open. 

> StringEscapeUtils.escapeXML() can't process UTF-16 supplementary characters
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: LANG-617
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-617
>             Project: Commons Lang
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: lang.*
>    Affects Versions: 2.4
>            Reporter: David Garcia
>            Priority: Minor
>         Attachments: utf8-fragment.txt, xml-escaped-fragment.txt
>
>
> Supplementary characters in UTF-16 are those whose code points are above 0xffff, that
is, require more than 1 Java char to be encoded, as explained here: http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/Supplementary/
> Currently, StringEscapeUtils.escapeXML() isn't aware of this coding scheme and treats
each char as one character, which is not always right.
> A possible solution in class Entities would be:
>     public void escape(Writer writer, String str) throws IOException {
>         int len = str.length();
>         for (int i = 0; i < len; i++) {
>             int code = str.codePointAt(i);
>             String entityName = this.entityName(code);
>             if (entityName != null) {
>                 writer.write('&');
>                 writer.write(entityName);
>                 writer.write(';');
>             } else if (code > 0x7F) {
>                     writer.write("&#");
>                     writer.write(code);
>                     writer.write(';');
>             } else {
>                     writer.write((char) code);
>             }
>             if (code > 0xffff) {
>                     i++;
>             }
>         }
>     }
> Besides fixing escapeXML(), this will also affect HTML escaping functions. I guess that's
a good thing, but please remember I have only tested escapeXML().

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message