commons-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alexander Gräf (JIRA) <>
Subject [jira] Reopened: (CODEC-87) DigestUtils: MD5 checksum is not calculated correctly on linux64-platforms
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:14:57 GMT


Alexander Gräf reopened CODEC-87:

As you guessed my testcase provided was not entirely  correct. The provided string that shows
the problematic behaviour was not the right one.
As you confirmed, the string a9P,+$ is calculated correctly on all platforms with hash f13ba39d06128b53b2bd238dfd357bcf
(i could reproduce this with the provided testcase Codec87.
However, if you use the string a9P,+§ you get the odd behaviour I was talking about.
Here are my results, using the code of testcase Codec87 with the problematic string:

79c28faa4fec5ceb98137f548f1d6fe3 Windows XP x86 5.1
3194078c1fa327f9856b5b54628f2a39 Linux amd64

I attached the jar that I was using for the test. The jar contains all classes needed for
execution, so you can start it with java -jar mdtest.jar.

> DigestUtils: MD5 checksum is not calculated correctly on linux64-platforms
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: CODEC-87
>                 URL:
>             Project: Commons Codec
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 1.3, 1.4
>         Environment: Suse Enterprise Linux 10 (64bit)
>            Reporter: Alexander Gräf
> Actual behaviour: 
> The class DigesterUtils calculates different md5-hashes depending on plattform.
> I used jdk1.5.0_19-32bit on win32 and jdk1.5.0_19-64bit on SLES 10 (64-bit) for testing.

> The effect depends on the charactersequence that is used for the calculation of the hash.
There are some charactersequences that are calculated correctly. I think that the hash that
is calculated on Windows 32 is the correct one since we have checked it by using an other
library for calculating md5-hashes (Tagish-Auth-1.0.3). Since both of the tested libraries
internally make use of the class but differ in the way the calculated
byte[] is transformed in a hex-string, I think that the problem is located in the Hex.encodeHex(byte[]
hashedBytes) method.
> Expected behaviour: 
> The md5-hash should should not depend on the platform and should be equal for all platforms.
> Testcase:
> System.out.println(DigestUtils.md5Hex("a9P,+$")); 
> produces the hash 79c28faa4fec5ceb98137f548f1d6fe3 on Windows XP (32bit).
> The same instruction produces 3191078c1fa327f9856b5b54628f2a39 on Suse Enterprise Linux
10 (64bit).

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

View raw message