commons-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alexander Gräf (JIRA) <>
Subject [jira] Commented: (CODEC-87) DigestUtils: MD5 checksum is not calculated correctly on linux64-platforms
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:39:57 GMT


Alexander Gräf commented on CODEC-87:

Ok, here is the sourcecode, i made one extension just now to print out  the codepage that
is envolved:

import org.apache.commons.codec.digest.*;

public class Codec87 {

  public static void main(String[] args) {
    String osName = System.getProperty("");
    String osArch = System.getProperty("os.arch");
    String osVersion = System.getProperty("os.version");
    String encoding = System.getProperty("sun.jnu.encoding");

    System.out.println(DigestUtils.md5Hex("a9P,+§") + " " + osName + " " + osArch + " " +
osVersion + " " + encoding);

The codepages that were involved in my test are:

- CP1252 on Windows XP
- UTF-8 on Suse Enterprise Linux 10

> DigestUtils: MD5 checksum is not calculated correctly on linux64-platforms
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: CODEC-87
>                 URL:
>             Project: Commons Codec
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 1.3, 1.4
>         Environment: Suse Enterprise Linux 10 (64bit)
>            Reporter: Alexander Gräf
>         Attachments: md5test.jar
> Actual behaviour: 
> The class DigesterUtils calculates different md5-hashes depending on plattform.
> I used jdk1.5.0_19-32bit on win32 and jdk1.5.0_19-64bit on SLES 10 (64-bit) for testing.

> The effect depends on the charactersequence that is used for the calculation of the hash.
There are some charactersequences that are calculated correctly. I think that the hash that
is calculated on Windows 32 is the correct one since we have checked it by using an other
library for calculating md5-hashes (Tagish-Auth-1.0.3). Since both of the tested libraries
internally make use of the class but differ in the way the calculated
byte[] is transformed in a hex-string, I think that the problem is located in the Hex.encodeHex(byte[]
hashedBytes) method.
> Expected behaviour: 
> The md5-hash should should not depend on the platform and should be equal for all platforms.
> Testcase:
> System.out.println(DigestUtils.md5Hex("a9P,+$")); 
> produces the hash 79c28faa4fec5ceb98137f548f1d6fe3 on Windows XP (32bit).
> The same instruction produces 3191078c1fa327f9856b5b54628f2a39 on Suse Enterprise Linux
10 (64bit).

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

View raw message