commons-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Siegfried Goeschl (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SANDBOX-192) [exec] Watchdog test cases and argument quotation fix
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:53:43 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-192?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12548423
] 

Siegfried Goeschl commented on SANDBOX-192:
-------------------------------------------

Hi Reinhold,

little confusion on my side regarding your example - on the one hand you say you are unable
to create

runMemorySud.cmd -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2

on the other hand your command line should look like

runMemorySud.cmd -XX:+UseParallelGC "-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2"

> [exec] Watchdog test cases and argument quotation fix
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SANDBOX-192
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-192
>             Project: Commons Sandbox
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Exec
>    Affects Versions: Nightly Builds
>         Environment: apache commons exec trunk/head; M$ Windows XP
>            Reporter: Reinhold F├╝reder
>             Fix For: Nightly Builds
>
>         Attachments: patch_apache-commons-exec.txt, ProcessTest.java, ProcessTest.java
>
>
> Please find attached a patch for apache commons exec with respect to two issues (note
that I have only tested them under M$ Windows yet, but I am very confident that these changes
should work under *nix too):
> ---
> (1) ExecuteWatchdog test cases (DefaultExecutorTest.java): one for synchronous and one
for asynchronous execution including the required test scripts (watchdog.bat, watchdog.sh)
and test app (JavaApp.java). Whereas the one for asynchronous is a bit more elaborated and
kind of "more correct", please note the hint on the well-known Java "bug"/issue under M$ Windows
with respect to the Process.destroy() method in the asynchronous test case code.
> ---
> (2) Add a method to CommandLine (CommandLine.java) to add arguments without quoting,
i.e. pre-quoted arguments, because default quoting may not be correct in all cases. Note that
I have not tried to find out if the default quoting can be changed accordingly. And also that
maybe this problem is only M$ Windows specific, but I don't know (yet). The encountered problem
was: 
> I want to start an executable (runMemorySud.cmd) with a list of JVM GC options that in
turn will then start a Java application utilising these JVM GC options. I failed to find an
accepted way of specifying the following:
> runMemorySud.cmd -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2
> After quite some time I found out that the default quoting of apache commons exec is
causing the problem, and with default pure standard Java it works as expected by using (see
attached ProcessTest.java example):
> Process p = new ProcessBuilder("runMemorySud.cmd", "10", "30", "-XX:+UseParallelGC",
"\"-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2\"").start();
> However, as I said, I found no way of being able to "propagate this to the ProcessBuilder
through apache commons exec". Thus, the need for adding a so-called pre-quoted argument addArgument()
method.
> ---
> Would you mind applying these patches? Thanks.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message