commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RNG, ALL] Checkstyle version
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:15:15 GMT
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 18:10, Pascal Schumacher
<pascalschumacher@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 11.02.2019 um 12:19 schrieb Alex Herbert:
> > I would like to upgrade the checkstyle version in commons-rng.
> > Currently the project uses maven-checkstyle-plugin 3.0.0 which
> > defaults to checkstyle 6.18.
> >
> > This version is old [1] and not supported by modern IDEs. An update
> > (to version 8.x) would allow checkstyle to be run within the IDE and
> > avoid separate checks of the checkstyle report on the command line.
> >
> > There is no management of the checkstyle version in commons-parent. I
> > would like to get a consensus on the versions used across commons and
> > any reason to not upgrade. There may be legacy reasons I am unaware of.
>
> Checkstyle 7+ requires Java 8 and not that long ago (almost) all commons
> projects required only Java 7 or less.
>
> Imho commons-parent can use the most recent check-style version (8.17).
> Of course this would force projects which use Java 7 or less to override
> the checkstyle version when they update to the latest commons-parent
> version.

Aren't there different profiles for different Java versions?
There was at least one plugin which needed different versions, so
maybe take the same approach here.

It's a bit more work to set up the pom, but it saves a lot of work
downstream fixing component poms and/or answering complaints that the
build fails ...