commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2019 17:00:44 GMT
On 12/02/2019 16:26, Eitan Adler wrote:
> (please make sure to add me to CC directly as the mailing is presently broken)
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 00:47, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> -1
>>
>> Changing the reply-to configuration increases the chances of message
>> threads being moved off-list by accident. I am concerned about the risk
>> of harm to the community that that represents.
>
> Can you present any evidence that this would be actively harmful to
> the community to point that we should violate internet standards?
> I've seen nothing similar happen in any of other open source
> communities I'm a part of.

I've seen it happen in multiple communities where conversations move
off-list accidentally and one of the participants notices and fixes it.
What I can't put a figure on is how many times it isn't noticed because
the thread doesn't re-appear on list.

It didn't take much searching to find others with a similar experience:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-useful.html

In terms of RFC 2822, I read the spec differently and consider qmail's
changing of the reply-to header consistent with both the intent of the
RFC and the desire of the ASF.

I am aware of the long running debates on this point.
(here is the opposite PoV to the link above:
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html)

Personally, I do not want two copies of every reply to every message I
post to this or any other ASF list. It happens enough already when folks
hit reply all. Having it happen every time would be a significant nuisance.

Mark