commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release Apache Commons RNG v1.2 (RC1)
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2018 10:41:09 GMT
On 04/12/2018 22:29, Gilles wrote:

> I was in fact running Java 10 for the benchmarks: "BoxMuller" is indeed
> 50% faster on it than on Java 8 and "Marsaglia" 10% slower!

Interesting. Given the relative popularity of Java 10 vs 8 (Java 10 was
only out in March 2018 and usage statistics are unknown on various
summary surveys) I suggest either (a) stating the benchmark was done on
Java 10, or (b) changing back to the Java 8 benchmark.

Note that the detail at the top of the 'User Guide > 4. Performance'
section states OpenJDK 1.8 was used.

> So, you'll change your vote?

Yes. +1 (non binding)