commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress][io] Avoid InputStream#skip?
Date Tue, 01 May 2018 10:24:01 GMT
Hi all

as skip throwing exception is uncommon enough that it hasn't been
reported before in Compress and only seems to happen if you use streams
like System.in maybe we can solve the issue by providing a wrapper
stream that overrides skip so that it uses read and advice people to use
that if they use special streams?

For Compress I really don't want to stop using skip as we potentially
use it to skip larger chunks of uncompressed archives when moving ahead
to the next entry without wanting to read the current one and reading
will mean a significant slowdown for everybody in order to avoid
problems in a few corner cases.

Stefan