commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [release-plugin] best multi-module project?
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2018 23:28:30 GMT
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 21:49:52 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 2018, at 3:05 PM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Nothing of any particular consequence, just where the main
>>> assemblies
>>> end up. Or which Pom they’re in.
>>
>> What do you mean by "main assemblies"?  If it's the "full"
>> distribution, then is it a matter of naming the output directory?
>> It could be configurable.
>>
>> For the config, the main POM looks the appropriate place if it can
>> be done without side-effects. [For RNG I created a separate
>> directory
>> because I was not sure how to do it.]
>
> Right….that’s why I was asking which project would be the best
> standard to work from, and then I could go through and take all of
> the
> other multi-module builds and mildly refactor the pom/directory
> structure to align with which ever we decided was standard.
>
> Is [jcs] the right choice as the standard?

Why this one rather than another?
It's not clear what you are looking for.
 From what I see wrt the creation of "full dist" artefacts, the
difference with e.g. [RNG] is that in [jcs], there is a maven
module, with no code, while for [RNG], there is a directory
(not a maven module), but both contain a POM whose only purpose
is to provide an "assembly" config.

Having no idea on how to achieve it, I'd wish that creating
the "full dist" only requires a custom "goal" like (?)
  $ mvn package:dist
with no ad-hoc directory/module: all modules specified in the
top POM would have their artefacts (recursively) bundled into
   <component>-dist-<version>.tar.gz

Regards,
Gilles