commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [text] Deprecation of StrMatcher/StrBuilder/StrTokenizer classes
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:29:54 GMT
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Pascal Schumacher <
pascalschumacher@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> after further consideration I'm not sure if it is a good idea to deprecate
> StrMatcher (to convert it to an interface and make the naming match
> *StringLookup), as this means that StrBuilder and StrTokenizer also have to
> be deprecated.
>
> Not long ago we told users of these classes to migrate from commons-lang
> to commons-text. Now they have to migrate again. Seems a bit much imho.
>
> What do you think?

What this tells me is that the release of commons-text was made in haste
but with the understanding that one of the goals was migration from Commons
Lang to Commons Text. Now that we are past that, some sore (IMO) design
points are popping up. I just do not think it is a good idea to perpetuate
the use of the current/old abstract classes. IMO the design should have
been based on interfaces to begin with but, I imagine this code came from
Commons Configuration or some such place. So we have another case
(probably) where the API was copied in bulk which made migration easier out
of wherever into Commons Lang.

Now that Commons Text exists and is its own component, it behooves us to
shore up any of the shortcoming from this code that eventually landed here
and provide a cleaner better API, and interfaces do just that.

Gary