commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Numbers] API of "Complex"
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2018 23:42:55 GMT
On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 10:41:58 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Stephen Colebourne
> <scolebourne@joda.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1 February 2018 at 15:30, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > For example, (picking a made up example) this reads really well to
>> me:
>> > Pair.of(foo, bar) because that what you'd use in spoken English.
>> >
>> > OTOH, this does not read well to me: Fraction.of(num, denum); this
>> would
>> be
>> > better: Fraction.from(num, denum)
>>
>> In JSR-310, of() is used when there is little work performed in the
>> factory, and relatively low chance of an error. from() is used when
>> performing a complex conversion, that has a higher chance of
>> failure,
>>

> I like that. To me from() implies some sort of conversion, and of() a
> simple construction.

Isn't the difference between those an "implementation detail"?
What if the implementation changes?  E.g. we add fields and what
was a "conversion" becomes a "simple" construction...

IMO a consistent naming is valuable in itself.
If a developer is worried about performance hits of (from?)
"conversion", there is always the source. :-)

Note that in this particular case of "Complex", the proposed
"of" methods imply little work and low risk of failure (which
would result from a programming error).

Gilles