commons-dev mailing list archives

From Pascal Schumacher <pascalschumac...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2018 13:33:39 GMT
Am 13.01.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Gilles:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:51:58 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
>> imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component java 7+
>
> Why?

Imho old java versions discourage contributions. Java 7 was released in
2011 8 (and Java 8 in 2014), so there is an increasing number of
developers who never used older versions. Why force volunteers to work
harder to stay Java 6 compatible when volunteering is supposed to be fun?

Support for Java 6 (and even Java 7) is decreasing everywhere. E.g.
current maven versions (and maven plugin versions) required Java 7
(plugin versions supporting Java 6 often do not work on Java 9). Current
travis VMs do not support build on Java 6...

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Pascal